Thursday, May 5, 2011

Sippy Cup vs Dishwasher (plus a mini review on the Foogo)


The dishwasher won.  It ate 2 of the lids to my relatively expensive Thermos Foogo brand sippy cups.  One was the older style, so I won't mourn it's loss too long but the other was rather new.  I was so distraught (well not really) that I didn't even get a picture of the melted lids to show off here.



Anyway I had originally taken a picture of the two cups in order to tell you about my favorite sippy. I liked the original model that was wider and had 4 parts to the lid.  However, not everyone could screw the lid on just right so that it wouldn't leak.  I had more than one daycare teacher inform me that I must have forgotten to put the valve into the cup when it was in there but just not put together correctly.

Thermos redesigned the Foogo line as their Foogo Phases and all the different styles (sippy,straw, tritan, insulated) now fit together.  Makes finding a compatible lid in the bottomless pit sippy cup drawer slightly easier. The clear cups are made out of something called Eastman Tritan that is BPA free and quite durable.  Thermos says it is for ages 6 months and up.  It is available in blue/yellow or purple/pink color combinations.


Foogo Phases Plastic Soft-Spout 8 oz Sippy

Pros
  • Really soft spout that my son just loves.
  • Ergonomic handles
  • Leak Proof*  when assembled carefully
  • Easy to clean (much easier than the old model)
  • Dishwasher safe
  • BPA free


Cons
  • Can't hold by handles while filling- They SLIDE OFF! (I think this is a part of the Phases feature, b/c you can transfer the handles to other phases cups)
  • if valves are assembled wrong it will leak. You must make sure the hard white plastic part is snugly popped into the soft yellow plastic part or the valve.
  • Valve assembly is 3 pieces. (used to be 4 so this is an improvement).
  • Plain color schemes/no prints or patterns.
  • Parts not interchangeable with similar Thermos Funtainer straw cups





So while this is my current "go-to" sippy cup.  I am not completely satisfied and am forever on the quest for the elusive "perfect sippy cup".

We have tried:
Tommy Tippy straw cup: Even after watching the youtube video I could not assemble it in a way that the suction required to drink out of it would not implode my brain.

Avent: never got them to stop leaking

Platex:  ok, no real complaints but I don't love them either.  The valves are hard to clean especially if they have rolled under the couch for a while.

Take and toss: great but leaky and not a "longterm" cup. They wear out especially fast when your kids chew on the spout.

Tilty: nice concept but too leaky. Kids can tip it over and dump the entire contents.  I realize part of the concept was no suction, but...

Nuby wide mouth soft sipper:  my kids didn't like those silicone spout/valveless things

Nuby no spill cups: valves get moldy easily.

And the list goes on.  Has anyone come across THE PERFECT SIPPY CUP?  For now I will stick with my Foogo, but I am open to exploring other options!
I'm looking for one that doesn't require unbelievable suction to drink, minimal and easy assembly, easy to clean, and most importantly- as SPILLPROOF as possible.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any sippy cup manufacturers.  All the sippy cups mentioned were purchased by me (much to my husbands dismay)  for my children's use.  All opinions are my own and you may have a different experience than me.

2 comments:

Small Kucing said...

on no....this means next time have to hand wash

Mariah @ FormulaMom.com said...

And here I thought dishwashers were supposed to make life easier! :(

I'm "stalking" you from the Super Stalker Sunday hop! Hope you'll participate again this weekend!
Mariah, Formula Mom

Post a Comment